Richard arrived in Sao Paulo at about 5:30 am on Wednesday, September 17...He was on the plane for about 12 1/2 hours, not including a layover in Dallas. He said he was able to stretch out on the flight from Dallas to Brazil and "had a nice 10 hour nap." He settled into the "CTM" in Brazil and was assigned to his new companion from Virginia. Here are some excerpts from his letters: "Greetings from sunny/rainy Brazil. Today is my P day and I went to the temple outside of Sao Paulo...Things are a bit different here...The trees aren't as green as in Utah. It's beautiful though. There are slums like you've never seen. The language is coming easier now.
Yesterday, our teacher Alinnie wasn't feeling well and she asked us if one of us would give her a blessing...I didn't give it but the spirit was amazing...missionaries have a sacred power...
Rice and beans are the best part about eating...everyone has gained weight, but I don't want to see how much I have...
Richard seems to be doing great, even though his new, cheap watch has already disappeared!
(Written by The Anderson Family)